InCHIP IT has professional, experienced staff who provide support for servers on Windows, Linux/UNIX, and VMware platforms. These servers host a diverse set of enterprise applications.
The following operating systems are supported:
- Linux/UNIX: The UNIX team supports Red Hat Linux, Linux variants and FreeBSD.
- Windows: The Windows team supports Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012.
- VMware: The VM Team supports clusters of ESX servers and shared storage.
Services performed by the systems engineers include:
- Developing hardware requirements and specifications: consult with clients and/or application vendors in developing hardware and software requirements and specifications for new servers and systems; coordinate information exchange with hardware and operating system vendors
- Hardware purchase and delivery: generate vendor quotes, coordinate purchases, and receive equipment delivered to the Data Center
- Provisioning: coordinate IP and hostname allocation and the implementation of essential firewall rules
- Physical hosting: coordinate the installation, racking and cabling of hardware hosted in the Data Center
- Virtual hosting: provision and ensure access to the virtual server
- Cloud hosting: provision and ensure access to cloud services, including servers and storage
- Operating-System Installation and Configuration
- To provide build, configuration and patch infrastructure for supported platforms
- For each host, configure the operating system in compliance with the standards required by UConn, and InCHIP IT policy
- Work with application and database administrators to install software packages and make kernel-parameter changes as needed
- Grant privileges to the application and database administrators to install, start, stop and configure their software as needed
- Management of OS and hardware: manage the operating system by installing security and OS patches; manage group and user-account information; coordinate hardware and OS support through the life cycle of the server
- System monitoring: monitor server availability and track the utilization of server resources
- Troubleshooting: provide 24/7 on-call support; diagnose and correct hardware and operating-system problems; provide limited support to application and database administrators when they are troubleshooting applications/services
- Liaise with other ITS teams: The server administrators serve as the client’s liaison with other ITS teams, including Information Security, Networking, and Operations.
Managed Services are available to all without any current restrictions on eligibility.